Forum Message

Topic: 'Monster Mast' Proposed for North End Road
Posted by: Una-Jane Winfield
Date/Time: 08/08/20 13:03:00

This application at Hammersmith Council's Wandon Estate was published starting on 30th July. The consultation on an application for a different G5 mast on the Fulham Palace Road ended recently.

Both of these applications are on small patches of underutilised, "derelict" land at a bend on a major road. Both pieces of land are owned by Hammersmith Council. The operator wants easy access at ground level for installation of supporting electrical equipment, so-called "cabinets".

See this good explanation by Vodaphone: https://newscentre.vodafone.co.uk/features/mobile-phone-masts-everything-you-need-to-know/

I would prefer the masts to be sited at the top of buildings, with supporting electrical equipment either in the building or buried. But that would cost the operator more.

The "cabinets" are as unsightly as the masts and together they occupy land which should be public realm and well-maintained. They should not be an eyesore for pedestrians and residents.

The derelict land on which masts and cabinets are sited will attract fly-tipping and drug-dealers, i.e. illegal activities unless they are well fenced off and the grass is cut regularly. I would want to see the terms of the operator's contract with Hammersmith Council.

Forum Home